You are stranded on a deserted isle with an iPad and solar battery that will only hold 8 shows … WAIT! It doesn’t need to start like that anymore! COVID-19 has us locked down in our homes so let’s entertain ourselves with CGO’s Top Binge Worthy Shows!
I’ll let you in on a secret. I had this idea that there was something wrong with lounging on the sofa at night. Binge watching was the equivalent of the ultimate in laziness. I wasn’t big on letting myself be entertained – the guilt factor was too high. But I love stories! Luckily, I finally allowed myself to indulge in some amazing shows that were big on character development and so well scripted and acted that I never noticed time flying by. And now that the world is on pause, I thought I’d share these gems with you.
I’ve also developed my own meter for detecting just how binge worthy a show is – the “Dumb S#*t” Meter. It’s pretty simple. All good stories have tension and difficult character choices. The more lost I am in the story, the more I begin screaming “Dumb S#*t, Dumb S#*t, Dumb S#*t!” at the screen. I don’t even know I’m doing it! The higher a show is on the Dumb S#*t meter, ie. the more I let loose on screaming Dumb S#*t, the more binge worthy the show!
I’m actually shocked by what I’m finding to be my choices. I’ve definitely come a long way from my Brady Bunch days as most of the shows I’m watching are shows I have always said I would NEVER EVER watch – like bet you a million dollars NEVER EVER! I’ve had an aversion to any kind of violence, preferring fluffy Rom Coms over intense dramas. The shows I’m watching now – obsessively binge watching – are such powerful stories that I’m sucked right into the character development and story lines that I almost forget there’s any violence at all. They’re that good!
So, get ready to cozy up in your comfiest PJ’s, pour yourself a glass of Chardonnay, grab some Ben & Jerry’s and have at it, sisters! In order to make my list, a show had to have at least 4 seasons of outstanding content. Here’s my list of my Top Binge Worthy favorites on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu:
- Narcos – True stories always intrigue me and the story of Pablo Escobar and the Colombian drug cartels and his war against the military and the US DEA are almost too hard to believe. I thought I’d hate the show but I was riveted. This is a story of excess, delusion, paranoia, and a mind bending roller coaster of a trip where if he had only said “Enough” Pablo might be the richest man in the world today. Si o No?
4 Dumb S#*t’s
- Longmire – What? CGO likes a show about a Wyoming Sheriff; a man’s man who rarely speaks more than a few words? Well, Walt only speaks when he’s sure about something and partnering him with a brash, slightly neurotic female deputy from Philly who rarely stops speaking is genius. The scenery is gorgeous and the plot always thickens. The weaving in of tensions between the native reservation is critical to the story and there is a great deal of contrast and focus on two ways of life. Lou Diamond Phillips’ character Henry Standing Bear is the glue that makes this show awesome.
4.5 Dumb S#*t’s
- Bosch – Titus Welliver just blew me away as Harry Bosch, the LA homicide detective from Michael Connolly’s books. An incredible supporting cast makes this compelling watching as Harry takes on criminals, colleagues, and superiors and won’t back off on his integrity. Add in being a single dad to a sharp daughter and there’s never a dull moment. Added bonus, he’s over 50 and hot! It’s so good, I am embarrassed to admit I go on “Bosch” hunts for some of my photo shoots in places where the show was filmed!
4.5 Dumb S#*t’s
- Hell On Wheels – Back to true stories … this stunning dramatization of the building of the Transcontinental Railroad is truly addictive. Filled with historical characters, the character relationships and strong female performances will keep you saying “Let’s watch one more.” The visuals are stunning and the show is shot and edited beautifully as it captures the taming of the West set in a movable train town that followed rail construction across the country. Did I mention that the main character, a tormented Civil War veteran named Cullen Bohanon, is played by possibly the best looking man on earth, Anson Mount? Complete and utter eye-candy.
4.5 Dumb S#*t’s
- Justified – We go from handsome and rugged to handsome and so damn adorable. Timothy Olyphant’s backwoods drawl makes Raylon Givens everyone’s favorite US Marshall. Guys will want to shoot whiskey with him and gals will want to kiss him! Raylon tends to shoot far too many people but he’s always back on the job because “I was justified. ‘He pulled first.’ This show, with its outstanding writing and supporting cast is really about two men who share a bond but choose divergent paths leading to a constant clash of protagonist and antagonist. The female characters are strong and complex. Walter Goggins’ Boyd Crowder is the bad guy you won’t forget and steals scene after scene. Come on and join the Dixie Mafia!
5 Dumb S#*t’s
- Friday Night Lights – What can I say except classic. If you told me that there was any way I would enjoy a drama based on high school football, I would have laughed at you. But this show is not really about football. It’s about family, community, trust, growing up, teen angst, persevering, race, class, and it doesn’t pull any punches or cast judgments on outcomes. It’s a show you can, and should, watch with your whole family because there’s something there for everyone. The performances of Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton as Coach Taylor and Mrs. T are powerful, compelling, and a joy to watch. It’s one of the few shows with a perfect ending … and you will be so sad it’s over. Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose!
5 Dumb S#*t’s
- Stranger Things – Nope! No Way! Not for me! I don’t do sci-fi and I will not, under any circumstances watch anything horror related. End of story. I fought against this show multiple times. What a Dumb S#*t I was! Take me back to the 80’s and let me be part of this adorable gang of misfits! This show is so well written and acted that once I began watching, the remote became my best friend and I flew through the seasons. You love the characters so much that you don’t mind being scared out of your wits! This show is addicting and like myself, you will be constantly checking for news on the next season! Hurry please! Meanwhile, my dream is a photo shoot with Millie Bobby Brown!
5 Dumb S#*t’s
- Money Heist – What a find. This show is the cleverest, slickest, most intricate show you can find on TV. It’s about a group of oddball criminals recruited by the socially inept Professor to rob the Royal Mint of Spain … and get away with it. The plot is mind boggling and has more cliffhangers and twists than you could imagine and they will leave you breathless. The cat and mouse between the Professor and the authorities is like a chess match played on hockey skates. I love it, and having just finished Season 4 last night … I can’t wait for more! And as far as eye candy is concerned, Ursula Corbero, who plays the narrator and resident female criminal badass, Tokyo, may be the hottest babe on the planet. Just sayin’.
5 Dumb S#*t’s
Cheers Beauties! Happy Binge-ing and let me know your reviews!